Author Topic: Tune in to our latest score, composed by Miguel Johnson!  (Read 312 times)

Offline newhalo123

• Gamer, Trekkie, Metalhead.
  • PR Team
  • Cookies: 66
  • "I love you all"
Don't give up if you keep falling down a path you don't want to be in. Persistence Helps, A lot.

"Live long, and prosper." -Leonard Nimoy 'Spock' (1931-2015)

"Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy looking Nerd herder! " -Carrie Fisher 'Leia' (1956-2016)

Offline NXAdam1701

• Cookies: 26
Re: Tune in to our latest score, composed by Miguel Johnson!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 03:59:27 PM »
Very nice, I enjoyed it.

Offline furswift

• Cookies: 2
  • Industrious yet Lazy
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 01:14:02 AM »
Wow! This will give Excalibur a very cinematic feel. Looking forward to hearing this in-game!  :rock

Offline ArtIllery

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »
Hi,
don´t get me wrong.. the battle-theme seem to match the intention and I like the basic Idea but I am not completely convinced of the details.
It is the instrumantation. There is a penetrant loop  of the Violins and the same thing with the staccato horns..
I really miss some variations and clever differenciations!

I would not like to hear that barking, constant loops for a long battle or a whole game. I do not like pure loop composings at all..

By the way... I like cinematic Scores but... they have to be really well aranged and must contain dynamics even whithin fat parts to be good and not just plumpy.

I could imagine that the super short spooky part in between the "baaaaam!" parts sounds really cool for a tactical battle situation. It could be stratched and being build up with accents like surprising hits.

greets from Germany

And hurry guys.. I need that game

Offline Michael

• aka NanoByte
  • Project Director
  • Cookies: 180
  • Lead Programmer
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 12:07:57 AM »
Welcome ArtIllery,

Of course you know everything here is WIP.  Nothing posted here in the forums is necessarily final. 

When it comes to music design for games it is also key that we have certain loops that we can inject event themes into it for events that are happening in the game to make dynamic music and achieve a higher level of immersion and variation.  So imagine that theme going on and you manage to take out an enemy ship, then we can inject an Excalibur victory theme in and then transition back after.

This is very difficult to do and will probably go through many iterations.
MB: GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 775 X48 RT
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz 3MB L2 Cache
GFX: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 1066 Dual Channel Kit
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 500GB X 2 in SATA RAID 0 Config

Offline ArtIllery

• Cookies: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 07:08:45 PM »
I know that. I know that it depends on the players speed when (loop)themes get merched. But I criticized that the instrumentation of the loop itseltf is too consistent. The question is not about using loops or not.

But there mustn´t be simple loops to accompany the game scenes. It can be diverse music but when the themes change, the merching-"sound"/ the opening of the following music theme,  must fit well at every time. It´s not that hard I would say..

Here is an example of a completely different (more quiet and idyllic) style of game music but the thing is, it is more nonlinear. The battletheme in the end constantly changes and develops. Ok, its just a short clip but one might get an Idea.. (I did it for a game mod which redicilously is still in progress and kept it close to the original music)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYEVnLW2-ro

After all... because of me you can use monotonous "blast away loop-themes" if you think, that is entertaining the ears qualitatively but get done with the f..n game! :)